Chemical and Physical Metal Powder Analysis
Offering a range of chemical and physical metal powder analysis techniques across our world-class powder testing facilities, Carpenter Additive is skilled in interpreting powder data. All tests are conducted to ASTM as standard, with ISO available on request.
Full chemical analysis is available including residual elements and interstitials using various techniques as appropriate, undertaken in an ISO17025/Nadcap approved laboratory.
- Oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen analysis by Inert Gas Fusion
- Elemental analysis/contamination screening (EDX)
- Chemistry- Full chemical analysis by ICP
- Moisture analysis by Karl Fischer titration A range of physical testing services is also available.
- Apparent/bulk density (measurement according to ASTM B212)
- Tap density (ASTM B527)
- Hall flow (ASTM B213) Carney flow (ASTM B964)
- The angle of repose (Carpenter Additive standardized internal procedure)
- A sieve analysis (ASTM B214)
- Particle size distribution by Laser Size Diffraction (ASTM B822)
- Powder imaging (SEM)
- Powder cross-section/porosity imaging (SEM)
- Metallographic sample preparation & examination (SEM)
- Rheometry and shear cell analysis
- True density by helium gas pycnometer (ASTM B923)
- Quantitative shape analysis (Optical & SEM)